AN OSR ORIGINAL RECIPE:
This is an easy, show-stopping, mid-winter side…or just a way to get your kids to eat their veggies. The maple syrup caramelizes in the oven creating a sweet, golden char and every bit of their flavor is enhanced with the homemade za’atar sprinkle and simple yogurt sauce.
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1.5-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. small carrots, peeled (see TIP A below)
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ½ c. plain greek yogurt (0% or full-fat, your choice)
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 small garlic clove, grated (see TIP B below)
- 2 tsp. Homemade Za'atar Seasoning Blend (click for recipe)
- Combine the maple syrup and olive oil in a small bowl. Put the carrots at the center of a large rimmed baking sheet that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Pour the olive oil and maple syrup mixture over the carrots and add ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Gently toss the carrots in the salt and syrup mixture until fully coated. Then spread the carrots in a single, even layer across the baking sheet and roast in a pre-heated 450° for 20 minutes or until a fork inserts easily into the thickest part of a carrot and the syrup coating starts to bubble and brown.
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, grated garlic, and ¼ teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Dollop all but a few teaspoons of the yogurt sauce around the perimeter of a large serving plate. Arrange the carrots at the center of the plate and drizzle the remaining yogurt sauce over the carrots. Give each yogurt dollop a generous sprinkle of za'atar and use the remaining seasoning blend to sprinkle over the top of the carrots. Serve warm.
TIP B: Your Microplane® rasp is not just for zesting citrus! It's the perfect tool for grating fresh garlic into a fine paste so that it blends easily into sauces and dressings. I actually have two rasps—one for citrus and seasonings (like whole nutmeg) and one for garlic and ginger. Couldn't cook without them!
Click here to read the editorial post associated with this recipe.
Disclosure: OSR is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.